Moving to Greece
Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Copy of passport
- Copy of packing list
- Original bill of lading (OBL) – or copy if express release / Convention Marchandises Routiers (CMR) / air waybill (AWB)
- Original T2L form (page 4), if applicable
- Certificate of repatriation (persons entering from non-EU countries requesting duty-free entry)
- Authorization form / declaration form
- EORI application / declaration form
- Owner of the goods’ value added tax (VAT) ID number
- Residence permit issued by Greek authorities (foreigners)
- Copy of diplomatic passport (diplomats)
- Diplomatic franchise (diplomats)
- T1 form (diplomats)
- Copy of passport for each family member entering with the owner of the goods (persons entering from non-European Union countries (EU) must present an original passport issued within the 2 years preceding entry; otherwise, the previous passport must also be presented)
- Owner of the goods’ value added tax (VAT) ID number obtained at a Greek tax office closest to new residence [persons entering from non-EU countries requesting duty-free entry]
- EORI application / declaration forms are only required by owners of the goods moving from a non-EU country.
- Shipments arriving from non-EU countries have three options for Customs clearance: duty-free entry, the payment of duties and taxes, or diplomatic shipment.
- The owner of the goods must have lived abroad for a period of 2 years preceding entry and cannot have any financial ties during this time period in Greece; proof of residency may be required, such as utility bills, tax forms, rental receipts, etc. (entering from non-EU countries requesting duty-free entry).
- Owners of the goods from non-EU countries who qualify for duty-free entry should contact the Greek Embassy or Consulate in the country of origin prior to departure.
- The owner of the goods must be present for Customs clearance at the port of Piraeus.
- An authorization form and an affidavit form may be required by agent; contact agent for details.
- Vehicle ownership documents
- Proof of car insurance
- Title / registration card
- Copy of driver’s license
- Diplomatic franchise (diplomats)
- Diplomatic ID (diplomats)
- Letter from Embassy certifying diplomat’s employment, including beginning and ending dates
- Owners of the goods importing vehicles using a tourist status may temporarily import vehicles duty free for a period of up to 6 months.
- Owners of the goods possessing a certificate of repatriation for primary residence may import vehicles duty free; owner of the goods must be present for Customs clearance at the port of entry.
- The owner of the goods may be required to pay for a Greek license plate and a luxury tax (persons holding a certificate of repatriation).
- For persons importing a vehicle who hold a certificate of repatriation, the vehicle must be in the owner of the goods’ possession and in use for at least 6 months in the country of origin prior to import.
- Diplomats can import vehicles with temporary duty-free entry.
- Vaccination record
- Veterinarian health certificate
- Pet passport
- Pets must have a microchip.
- A rabies test must be performed by a certified European Union (EU) laboratory a minimum of 2 months prior to entry into Greece.
- Documentation must be issued by a licensed veterinarian at the time of export from Customs in the origin country, granting permission to enter an EU country.
- No quarantine period is required.
- Duties and taxes do not apply to pets owned by the owner of the goods for at least 1 year.
- Alcohol and spirits (only a small quantity is permitted; items must be identified as kitchenware and loaded first in the container or truck)
- Hunting weapons (authorization from the Ministry of Interior is required)
- Duties apply to the assessed Customs values as follows:
- Electrical items 23%
- Electronic items 35%
- Furniture 18%
- Carpets 30%
- Computers and fax machines 18%
- Antiques (over 100 years) 8%
- Tobacco products
- Alcohol (12 bottles)
- Cigarettes (3 cartons)
- Explosive materials
- Live plants
- Stuffed animals